Sunday, April 15, 2012

Starting from seeds

I ran into a friend at the hardware store yesterday and we helped each other pick out some seeds. We both learned a thing or two - he inspired me to plant Blue Flax this year, and I inspired him to start sunflowers and snap peas soon, yes - outside! Trust me, they're tough. And our growing season is short.

Sunflowers are usually the first thing I start. Every year, I have experimented to see how early I can push the window. When I planted later, the sunflowers were just starting to open when we got our first snow. Last year, I planted around May 1st and the results were amazing!


October 6th - first snow - but at least they all got a chance to open! You have to be quick around here!!!

I planned to show you my seed planting today, but my body has other plans and is confined to bed. I did purchase seed-starting mix yesterday, and I have peet pots ready in the garage. As soon as I'm better, it's on!

Here are the seeds I purchased yesterday. Just buying them is enough to make my gardener's heart feel all warm and fuzzy.


Tomorrow: Birthday goodness!



No comments:

Post a Comment